Citizen Circles are groups of community members committed to helping offenders make the change from “offender” to “citizen”.
Offenders and their families develop relationships with members of the community and together develop a plan to help the offender become accepted as a productive citizen and community member. The Circle helps offenders understand that being a positive community member demands certain responsibilities and obligations.
Together Circle members and offenders develop plans to promote responsible citizenship. The Circle communicates to offenders the belief that their debt has been paid and the community is willing to accept them as restored citizens.
1. A network of support and acceptance
2. Increased access to community resources
3. Public recognition and documentation of positive contributions and success
4. Increased self-worth and belonging
5. Increased compliance with conditional release
6. Long-term attitudinal and behavioral change
1. Personal involvement in managing offenders returning to their
2. Better understanding of the correctional process and issues
offenders face upon reentry
3. Reduced rates of re-offending criminal acts
4. Access to the gifts and talents of offenders
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS
1. Stronger linkages with community partners
2. Increased effectiveness of offender supervision